I wanted to do something different this week and feature some of the ClearView staff. Today’s post is by John Duval, our Associate Pastor. He doesn’t have a blog yet, but follow him on Twitter and Facebook.
It seems like I just woke up to a house of 3 teenagers – 2 daughters and 1 son. Time goes by very quickly. I am frequently asked, “How can one survive 3 teenagers in the same house?”
1. Raise them up to love Jesus and His Word more than anything (or anyone) else. Does your child really have a personal relationship with Jesus?
2. I truly believe our three respect and love Anne and I out of honor, rather than duty. We are their parents not their buddies, pals or friends.
3. Parenting is hard work. Everyday we make choices and they are not always popular choices. We made the choice over a decade ago not to create or allow a child-centered household.
4. Church is our home and it is filled with countless people we love. Our teenagers are not given the option of church attendance. Teenagers can be wise in their own eyes. Anne and I know the value of Student Bible study, worship, youth group activities, camps and mission trips. ClearView is blessed beyond measure to have Jeremy Hudgin and Jacob Scrimpshire pastoring our students.
5. Don’t fall prey to the god of sports, band, part-time jobs, or other extra curricular activities. While all 3 of our children have excelled in many areas during these pressure filled years, my greatest joy is seeing them serve the Lord.
I love my house of teenagers. I will be very sad when my oldest moves away to college in the fall.
How did you enjoy or how are you enjoying these years with your teens?